Saturday, October 23, 2010

www.thereifixed.com






About a month ago I wrote that our plan was to lose 5-10 pounds before returning the United States. We know we will gain weight upon our arrival since our first stop after the airport will be Hereford House Restaurant in Zona Rosa. Linda will order a filet, baked potato, salad, and flambĂ© bread pudding for dessert, and I will have a KC-Strip, baked potato, Cesar salad, and share her bread pudding (not that we’ve thought about this or anything). Now I must write the plan is to lose 20 pounds after returning to the United States. We have begun baking our own bread. The evidence is the hotdog.

Last year my brother, John, sent 23 photos from www.thereifixedit.com. If you have not seen any of photos from this website, please go there immediately and view. Jay Leno uses photos from that site during his “Headlines” bit on Monday nights. Anyway, I laughed out loud when I viewed them. Now, a year later, that is my life.
In Azerbaijan there is a practicality with disregard for appearance or long term affects. In one of my conversation clubs I used John’s photos and I thought they would provide laughter, but instead the comment was “that is a good idea.” The second picture is a good example of the approach to repair or installation here. That is the electric line going from the pole taking a ninety-degree turn into the house via a tree. No knew pole needed for installation.

I never checked under our kitchen sink to notice exactly how the plumbing worked. Oh, when our sink would fall off to awkward angles I checked to determine how I might steady it. Note the cabinet door to the right – it was just the right size. The small 1” board to the rear I put diagonally a pipe and the sink, and the 1” board to the far right with Duck Tape was fitted from a hole in the wall across and under the drain pipe and then Duck Taped to the post on the left. However, that was inadequate. After a year I was washing dishes and water started covering my feet. I quickly surmised that there was a leak under the sink. My Duck Tape had finally given way and there were several joints that allowed water to flow freely instead of going to the drainpipes.
If I had been ambitious and smart, I would have noticed that the design of the drainpipes is to have a removable collection point for solid waste, which should be cleaned out on a regular basis because of the lack of garbage disposals. Instead the result is thereifixedit.com style with gratitude to those who sent us CARE packages in those boxes.

That is my Casio watch, and it only has to last 2 more weeks, and I can buy a new watchband. I started repairing with Scotch tape, and then a clear plastic tape bought locally, and finally now the best result is the handyman’s best friend, Duck Tape.

Finally there is the miracle of the running shoes. I brought those shoes new from the U.S. I put off using them until after we moved to site, 2 years ago. Normally a pair of running shoes last me 6 months at best. My pronation causes a severe wearing on the right foot outside portion of the heel. However, these shoes will last me 2 more weeks. I know that does not qualify for a miracle such as Hanukah where the 1 days supply of oil burned for 8 days, but it is as close as I will ever get. The soles are still good, but the uppers are a bit worn.

We received our final confirmation that we will leave Shirvan on November 7 for Baku, and then November 10 for the United States. During the three nights in Baku, we will rest and reflect. Since receiving that word, we have been busy allocating our possessions that will be left in Azerbaijan, planning our packing, and throwing away worn out clothing and utensils.

No comments: