Saturday, August 14, 2010

Big announcement






Our deepest sympathy goes to the mid-west and the heat warnings. To quote Bill Clinton, “We share your pain.” It seems that there are so many natural disasters right now. We follow closely the floods in Pakistan, the fires in Russia and the resultant air problems in Moscow, and the floods with landslides in China. All any of us can do is ease the misery of others the best we can. The disasters around the world certainly makes the devastating floods of Azerbaijan last May seem minor.

The summer is a busy time for me. The pictures were taken on August 13. On Monday, Wednesday and Fridays I have four conversation club sessions. The pictures show the first 2. There is an older group of university students and graduates, and then the second at 11:00 is younger children. I then have a session at 3:00 p.m. with a novice English speaker and his wife, and better English speakers at 4:00 p.m. On Tuesday and Thursday I try to save time for the computers and then 1 club at 3:00 p.m.

There were a couple of very tender moments this week. My birthday was Monday, and as mentioned before, I deeply appreciate all the cards, e-cards, and e-mails. Your support is so important. Our neighbors asked Linda what time I would be home. We had planned a special birthday dinner of chicken grill (toyuq gril) and green beans. I had to pick up the chicken and was home a little later than usual. After I arrived, there was a knock at the door, our neighbor was holding a birthday cake and the 3 children were singing “Happy Birthday” to the tune of a toy guitar which had that song on its music chip. Words cannot describe the emotion.
Yet as much as the neighbors expressions of friendship meant to me, that morning I went to the library and my counterpart wished me a happy birthday along with everyone else who passed by that day. However, my counterpart wanted to get me a meaningful present, but did not know what I might need or want. She insisted on giving me money to purchase what I might need and like. I tried to refuse without offending, but she insisted. She slipped the money to me and said that was the price – no more and laughed. I got home and the amount was equivalent to one fourth a monthly salary. I was already moved by the fact that she wanted me to have a present from her, but the amount was an indication of our friendship. It is her friendship and help which I so deeply appreciate.

Last week was our Close of Service Conference, and our date to close our service is November 9. We will receive details such as flight and travel information later, but we should leave within 24 hours of our COS date. That means we have less than 90 days to take physicals, return Peace Corps property, say good-bye, see parts of Azerbaijan that we want to visit, and wrap up our work. These days are filled with many emotions of anticipation.
We have received 2 very kind invitations to stay with friends until we find a place of our own. Our initial plans are to live with Andrew and Emily until that time when we have an apartment of our own. We have decided to live on or near the Plaza for a time. Living on the Plaza seems like a bit of a new adventure.
We will also very quickly be taking trips to see our family and friends.
Let the countdown begin.

No comments: