Saturday, June 27, 2009

Azerbaijan Identification Card












Linda and I reached a bit of a milestone this week. We have been in Azerbaijan for 9 months, and in Shirvan for 6 months. We obtained our Azerbaijan identification cards. With my picture it is amazing they let me stay in the country! The local officials have been very gracious to Linda and me. We use these identification cards like a drivers license in the U.S., to prove identification at the post office, bank, and purchasing plane or train tickets. The Azerbaijan citizens’ identification card is green.

I have included a picture of one of the local ATMs when it was mildly busy. We have seen as many as 40 – 50 people crowded around the ATM machines when the government salaries and pensions are available. I have had men and women hand me their cards and give me their access codes for me to help them obtain cash from the machines. For an American it is a bit unnerving to have people looking over my shoulder. There are no lines, just gathering and people edge their way up front. The more aggressive get to use the machine quicker. I go at times when there is no one else around. I have the option of getting the instructions in English, and it is very easy to use. In fact, a little easier than the US because I ask for any amount, not just in increments of 10’s or 20’s. I often make a withdrawal of 49 AZN to avoid any big bills. So, it is better to ask for my monthly allowance with four 49 withdrawals rather than one 200.

The reason big bills are a problem is making change with the merchants. Here are 3 pictures of local merchants that we like to patronize. The butcher gets less of our money only because we have only purchased 2 kilos of beef in the last 2 months. The vegetable man is always friendly and tries to tell us the amount due in English. He is more accurate in Azerbaijani, and we have the numbers down. We use several of the little general stores like the one shown above. Check out many of the staple items, and yes that is a hot sauce in the background. We have not tried any of it yet. Looks like a watered down Tobasco to me.

We continue to meet many interesting and talented people. My counterpart, Alma, is in the midst of an employment crisis. The IATP (Internet Access and Training Program) and IREX (Information and Research Exchange), both USAID (United States Agency for International Development) financed, were in the Central Library. On May 31 IATP pulled its employment of Alma and its program. The computers were given to the Library and Alma arranged for internet access to continue. It looked for awhile that IREX was going to make our program an IREX Media Center. I saw Alma working hard on paperwork. However, no contract has ever come through for Alma.

Alma is an intelligent woman whom everyone likes. The Children’s Hospital is in a neighboring building and she is often helping them with any computer issues they may have. People throughout the community know her and respect her. Three of the Peace Corps Volunteers here have found housing through Alma’s contacts. She always gives of herself for her family, friends, and job. She is a very special person in this male dominated culture.

One day I took my XO Laptop from the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) organization to demonstrate its capabilities. When one child began typing his name and playing the games, she immediately could see the potential. We both wrote to OLPC and contacted them by email asking how we could begin the process. OLPC is a small organization and do not work with individuals, but only government and organizations. However, I did receive a commitment that they could work with an organization for as few as 5,000 computers at $200 per computer. It may sound high, but it was quite a generous offer.

During one of our Conversation Clubs the question was asked what would you do if you had a million AZN. While everyone was wanting to buy cars, houses, expensive clothes and furniture, Alma said I would buy 5,000 computers for the children of Shirvan.

Put all your positive energy into Alma’s job situation. She is a person who is very much needed in Shirvan.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think I see one of my favorite things on the shelves behind Linda in that store. A red pepper spread for crackers and sandwiches called Ajvar. Yum!