Saturday, October 30, 2010

Always Learning




Last week we had the opportunity to a Fall Harvest Holiday. There were about 25 people gathered together to sing, celebrate and pray. The woman playing the guitar is quite a talented musician. Just like in the United States people ask me not to sing along, but just listen and enjoy.
The menu was a delicious salad with beets, potatoes, onions, carrots, and mayonnaise, and the main course being plov and chicken. Plov is the national rice dish, which often includes dried fruits and other ingredients depending upon the chef. There is a religious tolerance with limitations that any religious group must register with the government. The regulations within the registry eliminate any extremism.

Today is our last Saturday night in Shirvan. In one week we will go to Baku for rest and final Peace Corps processing before we depart on November 10. We certainly are looking forward to our returning to family and friends, but the difficulty in leaving people who have been so kind to us has become a reality.
My counterpart asked me what I might like for a good-bye present. I started telling those around that I did not need a purchased gift because they have given me the greatest gift of their friendship. As I got to the last portion of the sentence, I felt the emotion welling up within.
Linda and I have prepared a short thank you note that has been translated for us into Azerbaijani. Below is each:

We have lived in Shirvan for 2 years. We have met many good people. You have been kind to us while we were here. We want to thank you. We will always remember the wonderful people of Azerbaijan. We hope you will also remember us. We leave for the United States on November 10.

Denney and Linda Rives

Sirvanda biz 2 il yasadiq.Burada biz cox yaxsi insanlarla tanis olduq.Biz burada yasadigimiz muddetde siz bizimle cox mehriban oldunuz.Buna gore size tesekkur etmek isteyirik.Biz hec vaxt azerbaycanlilari unutmamayacagiq.Umid edirik ki,siz de bizi hec vaxt unutmayacagsiniz.Biz noyabrin 10u Amerika Birlesmis Statlarina gedeceyik.

Deni vÉ™ Linda Rives
We will pass out the notes to taxi drivers, store owners, friends, and many people who have been so kind to us. We have special thank yous for our counterparts, neighbors and very special people.

We continue to have those Peace Corps Moments. Recently I was in a village near Baku for a teaching computers session, and I needed help getting back to Baku. One of the Language and Culture Facilitators, Ravshad, accompanied me to a familiar area. As we were riding the bus I asked how he became an LCF? Ravshad’s family had hosted an AZ7 during training. The AZ7 was Sharif, one of the most talented and outstanding Volunteers I have met. Sharif had encouraged Ravshad and helped him prepare. Ravshad has become a great LCF.
Sharif went to a village replacing an AZ6 who had early terminated. I was so happy that Sharif had been assigned there. The village deserved a good Volunteer. The AZ6 had not served the people, but had been extremely negative. As I shared my appreciation for Sharif and how the previous Volunteer did not give to the people what they deserved, Ravshad opened my eyes and heart. Ravshad said that the AZ6 had done good because she had been willing to come. Just being willing to make the choice to serve makes an impression on people. Ravshad said that Azerbaijani people had told him, “If I lived in America, I would not leave to come to Azerbaijan.” Ravshad said, “It makes me think I should do more for my country and other people.”

Drop by drop a lake is made.

No comments: